For those looking for a new project, some comfort food, or the perfect finish to a plant-based meal, this fluffy strawberry galette covered in lime zest is your answer! While you’re looking for plant-based recipes, check out our Plant-Based Orange Ginger Vinaigrette to dress up your pre-galette salad.
BLITZ PUFF PASTRY INSTRUCTIONS
- Whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Add the plant-based butter, working it in with a pastry cutter or hands to achieve a coarse texture, with the butter still in large, pea-sized pieces. Stir in the water - the dough won't be cohesive just yet.
- Use a spatula to turn the crumbly mixture out onto a floured work surface or piece of parchment paper. Bring everything together with a few quick kneads, and shape the dough into a rough log.
- Roll the log into an 8" x 10" rectangle. Don't worry about any uneven edges - precision isn't too important here. Dust both sides of the dough with flour.
- Starting with a shorter end, fold it into thirds like a business letter. Flip the dough over, give it a 90° turn on your work surface, and again roll it into an 8" x 10" rectangle and again fold the dough like a business letter. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap (or your favorite reusable wrap), and let it chill at least 30 minutes before using it.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Using bottle or rolling pin, roll dough into an oval shape (it doesn’t have to be perfect!) about 12" in diameter and ⅛" thick. Periodically flip dough over and dust with more flour to prevent sticking. Get a sheet of aluminum foil large enough to cover a baking sheet, and coat it in plant-based butter. Place the aluminum on the banking sheet, and the dough onto the aluminum.
- Sprinkle 1 Tbsp sugar over the surface of the dough, leaving 2" clear around the border. Pile strawberries into the center of the dough and arrange in an even layer, leaving the same 2" border.
- Sprinkle strawberries with 1 Tbsp sugar and drizzle with 2 Tbsp plant-based butter. Slice lime in half. Zest it, and the squeeze zest and juice over the strawberries. Save the other half of the lime for later.
- In a bowl, combine maple syrup and water, and brush syrup mixture around border of pastry. Lift the edge of the dough, fold it over the strawberries and brush with more syrup mixture. Pull the next piece and fold over, pressing into the first fold and proceed all the way around so the dough is folded over the strawberries. The galette is a rustic dish, so don’t worry about perfection. Just aim to get the edges wrapped to keep juices in, and make sure the entire crust has been coated in syrup mixture.
- Bake galette until crust is browned around the edges, and juices from strawberries are syrupy and actively bubbling, 40–45 minutes. Let cool at least 20 minutes. Use sifter to dust with powdered sugar if desired.