Classic Steak Grillades and Two-Cheese Grits
Creole-rubbed Classic Steak topped with blackened veggies; all over a bed of deliciously creamy, cheesy grits.
You may use a store-bought Creole spice blend, but this recipe will make enough for at least 5-6 meals and if you have a big spice pantry, it’s a great use-up.
- 3 Tablespoons fine sea salt
- 3 Tablespoons paprika
- 2 Tablespoons smoked paprika/pimenton
- 2 Tablespoons oregano
- 1 Tablespoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon white pepper
- 1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons granulated onion
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
Combine everything together and store in an airtight container in a cool place.
- 4 Meati Classic Steaks, thawed
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- About ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons Creole seasoning
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery with greens, finely chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 large fresh bay leaf
- 2 Tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- About 1-inch ginger, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Frank’s Red Hot or Tabasco
- 1 cup beef bone broth or stock
- 1 can (15-oz.) fire roasted crushed or diced tomatoes
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced on bias
- Heat a shallow layer of oil in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat.
- Season Meati Classic Steaks on both sides with salt and pepper. In a small dish, add the flour and 1 tablespoon of creole seasoning, mix together and then dredge the Classic Steaks, shaking off the excess. Place in the skillet and brown, about 8 minutes, turning occasionally (do not crowd your pan – cook in batches if necessary). Transfer to a platter and add the onions, celery, and peppers to the pan. Season with salt and pepper and add the remaining tablespoon of creole seasoning, bay leaf, and thyme. Stir and soften a few minutes and add the ginger and garlic and stir another minute. Add in the Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce, broth, tomatoes, and bring to a bubble until sauce is reduced.
- Slice the Classic Steaks into strips and slide back into the sauce to warm through. Slather the finished grits into shallow bowls or deep plates and arrange sliced steaks and sauce on top. Top with scallions and pass extra hot sauce at the table.
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 ½ cups vegetable stock or broth
- 1 cup white stone-ground grits
- ¾ cup grated white sharp cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 3 Tablespoons butter, cut into tabs
- Salt and white pepper, to taste
- Add the milk and stock to a medium size sauce pot and bring a light bubble. Whisk the grits into the hot liquid. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook about 18 minutes, stirring occasionally, and then stir in the cheeses, butter and season with salt and white pepper, to taste.
- Slather the grits into shallow bowls or deep plates and arrange sliced Classic Steaks and sauce on top. Top with scallions.
Join the Journey
Be the first to hear about exclusive offers and events. Sign up for updates here and never miss a beat.