Carne Asada Steaks with Poblano Chimichurri and Sofrito-Saffron Rice
Perfectly charred Carne Asada over zesty saffron rice then topped with an herb-y poblano chimichurri.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ onion, finely chopped or grated
- ¼ cup minced celery, from the heart
- ¼ cup, about ½ carrot, finely chopped
- 1 each jalapeno and serrano pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- A fat pinch of saffron threads, about 1 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 ½ cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup organic basmati rice, rinsed 1-2 minutes
Heat oil in a sauce pot, 2 turns of the pan, and add the onion, celery, carrot, jalapeno, and serrano pepper, and season with salt and pepper. Let soften a bit, then add the garlic, saffron, lime and orange zest, and the stock. Add the rice, bring to a boil, and simmer on low (covered), about 18 minutes.
Chimichurri and Meati Carne Asada Steaks:
- 1 large or 2 medium poblano peppers
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ white onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 lime
- 1 Tablespoon sherry vinegar
- A handful of cilantro
- 1/4 cup EVOO, extra virgin olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- 4 Meati Carne Asada Steaks, thawed
- Non aerosol vegetable or plant oil cooking spray
- Preheat the broiler.
- Place the poblano pepper, garlic and onions on a foil-lined baking sheet and place under the broiler. Let char on all sides and remove. Cover the baking sheet well or immediately place the pepper in a small bowl and cover for 10-15 minutes to let steam. Remove the pepper, peel and seed.
- Place everything in a food processor with the juice of the lime, sherry vinegar, cilantro, EVOO and salt to taste.
- Preheat a nonstick skillet over medium to medium-high heat and spray with oil. Cook Carne Asada Steaks until crispy and brown, about 8-10 minutes, turning once. Let stand 5 minutes, slice and top with the chimichurri and serve rice alongside.
Classic Steak Herby Chimichurri Quesadilla with Caramelized Onions and Chimi Slaw
Join the Journey
Be the first to hear about exclusive offers and events.Sign up for updates here and never miss a beat.